French Mutations Film Festival

“Avril et le Monde Truqué Image.” Http://Alliancefrancaise.org.sg, Alliance Francaise , July 2016, alliancefrancaise.org.sg/event/avril-et-le-monde-truque/.

Have the French Mutations Film Festival signs caught your attention? Were you intrigued by the selection of films? Because there is never a shortage of student activities (both on campus and off), sometimes the choices can be overwhelming. There is even a daily newsletter compiled and sent out by the Bryn Mawr College Communications team. Should I go to the lecture depicting the travels of Europeans in China during the 17th century? Should I go to the 7 p.m. showing of Avril et le Monde Truqué put on by the French Department? Perhaps I should just stay in my room and finish that paper which is due tomorrow. As much as I am often the person scrambling to finish work on time, I would still defend attending activities that pique my interest.

“French Mutations Film Festival Poster.” Bryn Mawr, Departments of French and Francophone Studies at Bryn Mawr College and Haverford College, www.brynmawr.edu/french/activities/french-mutations-film-festival.

Thursday night I joined several other students for Avril et Le Monde Truqué (April and the Extraordinary World.) I knew nothing about the film other than the fact Marion Cotillard plays the voice of the main character. Two hours later, I was a Jacques Tardi fan. Tardi, a French graphic novelist, is the creator of this fascinating reimagining of Paris had the Franco-Prussian war never taken place. (In this alternate reality, there are two Eiffel towers, and scientists mysteriously are disappearing from the world!)

Guest Speaker André Benhaïm/ H. Novak

This film and six others have been carefully selected by the Bryn Mawr and Haverford French Departments for their French Mutations Film Festival. Furthermore, after each showing, the departments have invited guest speakers, (specialists in the movies or topics the movies cover,) to answer questions based on our reactions and interpretations to each film.

*All the films are shown with English subtitles. The discussions following each film are conducted in English. Anyone is more than welcome to attend!

Check out this complete list and summary of each of the films!